GILLETTE, Wyo. — No one was injured in an incident Campbell County Fire Department responded to at 7:47 p.m. Oct. 27 at a home on Wild Bronc Way, Battalion Chief Ryan Fox said.
Fox said firefighters had responded to the report of a possible structure fire at the residence. The home is northwest of downtown Gillette. The person who reported the incident said she had cleared smoke out of the house and that fire was shooting out of the fireplace, Fox said.
Fox said that when firefighters arrived at the scene, they didn’t see any smoke but there was an odor of smoke. Firefighters extinguished a small fire in the wood-burning fireplace, checked for carbon monoxide and confirmed nothing was wrong in the attic, he said. Fox said EMS asked whether any of the home occupants wanted medical help, and the residents declined.
Fox said he didn’t believe there was a chimney fire, but it’s a good idea to clean wood-burning fireplaces and stoves annually. Creosote, a byproduct of burning wood, can build up, and create chimney fires, he said. He said he didn’t know whether the residents had cleaned their fireplace recently.
Campbell County residents should also remember to change the batteries for their smoke alarms, and the change of clock times for daylight savings time is a good reminder, he said.
“When you change your clocks, you should change your smoke alarm batteries,” he said.
Daylight savings time ends at 2 a.m. Nov. 6.